Bio identical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) is a form of therapy that is used to attain an optimum level of hormones in the human body. While BHRT is mainly confined to the United States, there is a significant level of interest directed towards it. What this form of therapy is believed to achieve is to improve the overall hormone levels in the body. Bio identical hormone replacement therapy has garnered interest particularly with women as they are convinced that it helps them during menopause, making them feel stronger and revitalised. BHRT has gained popularity as a number of American women are of the opinion that conventional hormone replacement therapy has several side effects that could be life-threatening.
Bio identical hormone replacement therapy has numerous benefits especially for women as it is believed to prevent the occurrence of a number of chronic diseases that develop with age. Bio identical hormones are made from plant chemicals and share a similar molecular structure to that built in a woman’s body. The benefits of BHRT include and are not confined to:
1. It builds muscle strength as a person (especially women) ages. With age, the human body experiences a gradual breakdown in muscle and fat which weakens the physical state of an individual.
2. Bio identical hormone replacement also improves libido as a result of increasing the levels of hormones in the body.
3. BHRT is said to improve energy levels, provide better sleep, and sharpen the mental state of a person.
4. In a fast-paced world where time is of the essence, there is hardly ever enough time for an individual to relax and feel rested. The modern lifestyle is driving people towards depression. Bio identical hormone replacement therapy reduces the risk of depression, leaving one feeling calmer.
5. This form of therapy is also believed to increase bone strength even as a person ages, reducing the risk of osteoporosis. This is a result of BHRT improving the bone density.
6. BHRT is custom-compounded, which literally translates to the hormones being made to suit every individual patient’s condition. By this, it makes for a more balanced and accurate increase in hormone levels.
7. As it creates a calming effect on an individual, BHRT also improves sleep. When consumed, natural progesterone helps in promoting a patient’s sleep and allows for proper rest.
8. Bio identical hormone replacement therapy reduces the risk of endometrial and breast cancer besides fighting Alzheimer’s disease.
There has been some opposition in the practice of BHRT and while there is currently little significant evidence to completely prove that this form of therapy carries with it benefits, it has helped a lot of patients dealing with hormonal imbalance. A lot of reviews and tests are being carried out to show that bio identical hormone replacement therapy can successfully help a patient balance out the body’s hormones. For patients suffering from high cholesterol, BHRT is said to improve or stabilise the levels and improve the overall health of an individual, thus increasing one’s lifespan in the process.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9636924